[theora] Ogg Index A-mod

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 01:26:25 PDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 11:32 PM, Benjamin M. Schwartz
<bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
> Chris Pearce wrote:
>
>> If we move the start/end time fields into
>> the index packets, which is sensible, it would break backwards
>> compatibility of this version with earlier versions of the same major
>> version. Silvia et al wanted to add some new fields to the skeleton
>> track, so maybe we should increment the version to 4.0, include those
>> fields, and change the rest of the index format?
>
> Do the new fields proposed by Silvia require a new format?  I thought the
> point of fisbone was to be extensible.  Maybe Silvia has proposed more
> things that I don't know about.

Any of the metadata fields will work on any skeleton format. It would,
however, be nice to have more mandatory fields so browsers etc can
start relying on them being there. So, they won't break compatibility
apart from being either strongly recommended or even mandatory.

Cheers,
Silvia.