[theora] Theora player for Nokia Series 60

Nik Lam nlf482n at med.usyd.edu.au
Mon Apr 19 17:23:19 PDT 2010

Quoting "Stuart Fisher" <stuart.fisher at fig7.com>:

> Alpha 23 is released. Hopefully this week I'll get the project properly
> announced on the OggPlay forums and get the discussion moved over there.
> Things are looking good :-)
>
> Changes from 0.22:
> Fixed poor frame rates on some S60 phones.
>
> For most newer phones (and also some older ones, e.g. Nokia N82, N95).
> http://symbianoggplay.sourceforge.net/OgvPlay/OgvPlay_023_ARM11.zip
>
> For older phones (e.g. Nokia E60, E61, N96)
> http://symbianoggplay.sourceforge.net/OgvPlay/OgvPlay_023_ARM9.zip

For anyone who's interested, this alpha 23 release has significantly
improved the statistics on dropped frames on my Nokia E71:

Decoded file: E:\Ogv\BBB-320x180.ogv
12522 frames displayed
1601 dropped frames (2)

compared with Alpha 22:

Decoded file: E:\Ogv\BBB-320x180.ogv
7370 frames displayed
6754 dropped frames (2)

However, I can't detect any subjective improvement in quality when I
watch the videos. Stuart thinks that we're hitting a limitation of the
display electronics on the E71 (and also the Nokia 5800). I does not
seem capable of refreshing the screen at the desired 30 fps. The CPU
(369 MHz ARM 11 on the E71) is clearly coping much better now though.

Cheers,

Nik