[theora] Google to Open-source VP8 for HTML5 Video

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 15:42:49 PDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 2:19 AM, Christopher Blizzard
<blizzard at mozilla.com> wrote:
> On 4/12/2010 6:43 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>>
>> Google might add VP8 to YouTube, but they sure as hell won't remove
>> H.264 from YouTube. Thus, Apple and Microsoft won't care - in
>> particular Apple's devices will continue to play those formats.
>>

> It also depends on which H.264 you're talking about.  I believe that the
> iPhone supports only baseline (Eric C, whom I believe is on this mailing
> list, can confirm that) and I think that the iPad now supports the Main
> profile.  Each of these are somewhat limited on size and profile so
> supporting H.264 is fine, because it's just H.264 at lower quality than what
> you will find with other codecs.  The idea that you can have a single H.264
> encode and it's supported everywhere is a lie, unless you want small +
> baseline, which is basically the same quality as Theora at what I suspect is
> a much higher computational cost.
>
> Youtube also ships out a lot of H.263 for mobile devices, turns out.

Yeah, the point I was trying to make is that YouTube is not going to
remove those H.264 encoded files that already play on several devices.
Agreed, they have several different H.264 encoded files with different
profiles to work on different devices. But that doesn't change the
situation.

Cheers,
Silvia.