[theora] Google to Open-source VP8 for HTML5 Video

Basil Mohamed Gohar abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
Mon Apr 12 18:35:13 PDT 2010

On 04/12/2010 09:32 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> There is a whole swag of things Google will have to solve before VP8
> is actually usable on the Web. I doubt the announcement will be that
> they have solved it all etc, but that the announcement will be that
> they open source VP8 with an aim towards getting all the other issues
> sorted.
>
> I wrote an in-depth blog post about this earlier, see
> http://blog.gingertech.net/2010/02/20/googles-challenges-of-freeing-vp8/
> . They are now taking the first step along the list of things that I
> mentioned are necessary.
>
> It is great to see this, but unless we see Apple and Microsoft
> committed to VP8, too, it is unlikely that VP8 will be in a better
> position than Theora as an open codec (except for the potential of
> higher quality, which still needs to be confirmed).
>
> Cheers,
> Silvia.

If Google were to implement YouTube with VP8, the relevance of Apple &
Microsoft will fade if they don't follow suit.  It might take a while,
and it could potentially cause a serious split, but, well, Microsoft has
basically divided the Internet before with IE, so it really wouldn't be
anything new.  Apple really isn't relevant except for the fact that they
are on the HTML5 committee, unfortunately.

--
      Basil Mohamed Gohar
abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
http://www.basilgohar.com/blog