[theora] Google to Open-source VP8 for HTML5 Video

Basil Mohamed Gohar abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
Mon Apr 12 17:21:31 PDT 2010

On 04/12/2010 08:17 PM, xiphmont at xiph.org wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 9:12 PM, Daniel Hendrycks<kondo8 at hotmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> "http://newteevee.com/2010/04/12/google-to-open-source-vp8-for-html5-video/"
>> Does this mean an end for Theora?
>>
> Maybe.  Unlikely.  We don't know yet what Google is actually going to
> announce... or for sure they're actually announcing it.  patience :-)
>
> Don't lose sight of the prize: an unencumbered modern baseline for
> media on the net and especially the web.  If true, this is fantastic
> news, no qualifications necessary.  Besides, I wanna get my hands on
> the source ;-)
>
> Monty

I want xiphmont, derf, gmaxwell, bemasc, ds, and all the rest to get
their hands on the source code too!  Heck, maybe even I'll poke around -
and I haven't even looked at the libtheora source yet (*shame*).

What I think would be most interesting is what kinds of tricks or hacks
might be able to be pulled out of VP8, if any, and incorporated into
existing codecs, such as Theora & Dirac.

In the world of Free Software, more options is always better.  The
GNU/Linux front isn't suffering due to too many distros - it's
flourishing.  The introduction of a free-as-in-freedom VP8 codec (if
that turns out to be the case) will bring the number of serious free
video codecs, each with their own strengths, from 2 to 3 (unless there's
one that's eluded me all this time).

--
       Basil Mohamed Gohar
abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org