[theora] Google to Open-source VP8 for HTML5 Video

Basil Mohamed Gohar abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
Mon Apr 12 17:15:23 PDT 2010

On 04/12/2010 09:12 PM, Daniel Hendrycks wrote:
> "http://newteevee.com/2010/04/12/google-to-open-source-vp8-for-html5-video/"
> Does this mean an end for Theora?

I take it you may not have seen my reply yet, but in short, "no".
Google just put their weight (or, at least, a portion of their money)
behind a Theora decoder optimized for mobile platforms running on ARM
processors.  VP8 may be a codec with higher bit efficiency, but Theora
still gives some of the best quality for very little CPU usage, both for
encoding and decoding.  This is something that no other codec can
approach, with the possible exception of some MPEG-4 ASP codecs (such as
Xvid).

--
       Basil Mohamed Gohar
abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org