[theora] Indexing Ogg files for faster seeking

Chris Double chris.double at double.co.nz
Thu Sep 24 04:31:54 PDT 2009

2009/9/24 Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves <justivo at gmail.com>:
> However, were this index idea an expansion on Skeleton, you would
> remove the unecessary complexity of adding yet another metadata stream
> to the mix and build on what exists.  Win-win, I say.

Having it as a separate stream does allow adding of additional index
tracks using existing tools. It makes it relatively easy for a server
to generate the index track on the fly, add it to an existing ogg
file, and send that file at a clients request for example.

That said, I'd be interested in seeing how you'd modify the skeleton
specification such that it can have indexes inside it. Can it be done
without breaking existing applications that parse skeleton streams?

Chris.
--
http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz