[theora] Indexing Ogg files for faster seeking

Chris Pearce chris at pearce.org.nz
Thu Sep 24 03:59:40 PDT 2009

On 24/09/09 20:21, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>> another advantage of having separate indices is that it can be
>> possible to rip tracks out and recalculate their keyframe index. So I
>> think one index packet per media track would be useful. Perhaps you
>> could just add it to the skeleton track, rather than introducing a new
>> track type.
>>
> I think that is a great idea. Having it in skeleton would make a lot
> of sense and doesn't require adding more random metadata tracks to Ogg
> files.

We should keep the index in a separate track, as it provides a different
function to the skeleton track. Having the index in a separate track
also makes it easier to chop it out if you don't want it, or to splice
it in, or to edit it. Adding it to the skeleton track would complicate
matters. Keeping the two separate makes working with it easier, and we
won't break existing decoders which expect the skeleton to be encoded in
the current format. Best to not break skeleton if possible.

Chris P.