[theora] Indexing Ogg files for faster seeking

Michael Dale mdale at wikimedia.org
Wed Sep 23 10:20:58 PDT 2009

This looks very good :)

I like the embedded approach because it won't require server side
modification. (ie just have to run the indexer prior to being
published). This keeps things simple works with existing http
byte-offset system. Thinking about the problem a bit ...  this is of
course "the way to do it" because people like to keep things simple and
its an uphill battle to update server infrastructure, CDNs, proxy
systems, shared hosting accounts ... improvements in the infrastructure
layer that touches everything are very difficult.

The only minor down side I see is sending the extra delta encoded byte
offset track and the second round trip. Ie you first have to download
the index(s) then do the byte request. ( instead of just sending the
time request to the server and directly getting back the stream from the
necessary byte offset ) But not really that big of a deal. The ideal
server side system would send back byte-offset hint for a second round
trip anyway (to be compatible with normal http byte range request proxy
systems)

Also the server side solution (ogg_chop) can work with that keframe
index to avoid long server side seek times and support clients playback
systems that don't use yet support the index system or "wget" a segment
as a distinct resource.

To quickly take a look at the near worst case of overhead we can
consider a 13 hour stream:
http://mvbox2.cse.ucsc.edu/media/senate_proceeding_07-16-09.ogg
... or not... I am having trouble building the library getting:
"libtool: definition of this LT_INIT comes from an older release.
libtool: You should recreate aclocal.m4 with macros from libtool 2.2.6"
any tips?

To make indexing Ogg happen I think we would need:

1) index per track as described later in the thread

2) Mozilla to quickly push out the patch as a "critical" update to
encourage adoption and to not have a large percentage of users avoiding
its usage because of lack of seeking for existing Firefox clients. (as I
understand present version of Firefox does not let you do normal seeking
on the indexed file because of a bug with liboggplay? )

3) As Silvia mentions we want to push this we want to integrate the
indexer into the ffmpeg2theora encoder output.

And ideally:

4) Integrate support into the cortado applet.  (the fall back basic
seeking is pretty bad right now with cortado as well)

5) Create a PHP port. So that stand alone web app can check for the
index and add it if its missing then send the content-duration header
and keyframe indexed stream and handle byte-offsets.  I just started a
quick hack on a similar solution (its storing the key-frame index in a
separate file) and if I get some more time to push forward on it I will
try and port the indexer.
http://svn.wikimedia.org/svnroot/mediawiki/trunk/extensions/MetavidWiki/skins/mv_embed/oggServer/

presently it at least sends out the x-content-duration header which is
better than nothing ;) Although sending things through php won't be fun
for high traffic sites... but could simplify improved seeking
performance for small to medium sized video projects...  Especially if
the library can seed the index on content ingestion and use normal
apache/webserver for serving the video.

--michael