[theora] theora 1.1 beta 3 sample encodings

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at mozilla.com
Wed Sep 16 19:55:20 PDT 2009

On 9/16/2009 7:06 PM, John Kintree wrote:
> The good news is that samples from 1.0 and 1.1 play with the default
> "Movie Player" application that comes with Ubuntu 8.0.4.
>
> Unfortunately, the quality, to my eyes, of
> 7.8 MB fx35_overview-1.0-v-3.ogv
> is considerably better than
> 4.7 MB fx35_overview-1.1-v-3.ogv
> John Kintree
It's also a lot bigger, as you point out.  I'm told that the scales
between 1.0 and 1.1 changed quite a bit so -v 3 doesn't mean quite the
same thing in 1.1 as it did in 1.0.  If you want to compare you should
compare two files that are roughly the same size.  For example when I
compare:

http://people.mozilla.org/~blizzard/videos/theora-1.0-vs-1.1/fx35_overview-1.0-v-3.ogv
(7.8MB)
http://people.mozilla.org/~blizzard/videos/theora-1.0-vs-1.1/fx35_overview-1.1-v-5.ogv
(6.8MB)

I can see a lot of difference in the quality of the videos.  In the
first frame the Firefox logo is much crisper looking in the 1.1 videos.
And the Firefox text at the bottom is also crisp with a lot less noise
around it.

Don't focus on the -v setting - focus on the size.  If you can do the
same quality at a smaller size we win.  We also win if you can do a
better quality at the same size.  And that does seem to be the case here.

Thanks!

--Chris