[theora] XiphQT and QuickTime X

Jason Self jason.self at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 06:44:06 PDT 2009

> On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 12:50 PM, Jason Self <jason.self at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> I've just finished installing Apple's shiny new Mac OS X version 10.6
>> (aka "Snow Leopard.") One of the very first things I did was place
>> XiphQT 0.1.9 into /Library/Components. It appears that it doesn't
>> work
>> with the new QuickTime X: The .ogg and .ogv files are grayed out in
>> the Open File dialog box and cannot be selected. Right-clicking on
>> the
>> file, selecting Open With, and then selecting QuickTime Player makes
>> it immediately barf saying "The document
>> bug_buck_bunny_480p_stereo.ogg could not be opened. QuickTime Player
>> cannot open files of this type."
>>
>> Fortunately, iTunes does continue to play them.

On Oct 28, 2009, at 2:00 AM, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have the same problem, but haven't got around to attacking it yet.
> If somebody knows how to solve this, please post.

After writing that message in August, I have since come to the sad
conclusion that QuickTime Player X no longer supports 3rd party
QuickTime components of any kind. It seems that the options for
playing Theora on Mac OS X at present are:
1. Use the old QuickTime 7 Player (available as an optional install
from the Snow Leopard DVD)
1. Watch them with iTunes
2. Use VLC
3. Embed them in a local webpage with the VIDEO tag and watch them
with Safari if you want to be creative

Hopefully Apple will eventually decide that 3rd party codecs are
worthy of support once again.