[theora] Live Ogg Vorbis/Theora Streaming Software

Basil Mohamed Gohar abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
Tue Oct 27 08:49:21 PDT 2009

On 10/27/2009 11:33 AM, michel memeteau wrote:
> I I'm sorry to dig out threads that are 3 years old,
>
>  but I come accross right now of the need to help someone to setup an
> icecast source on his windows machine with a Webcam and the line input.
>
> In order to convince him that theora encoding with Itheora on the
> website side is a good idea , I think using theora 1.1 is a good
> start. then would you confirm that the solution are :
>

> - Streamer.exe from visonair.tv <http://visonair.tv> : great app , no
> sure about the licence , not ready for 1.1 ( just need to replace
> theora.dll ? )
>
> - latest VLC with icecast streaming : I'm not sure how VLC encode to
> theora ? using libtheora ? or ffmpeg ? anybody used it for 1.1 ?
>
> - Command line with Win32 ffmpeg2theora : seems the most reliable
> solution but definitely not usefriendly for the user.
>

> Any suggestions and experience really appreciate.
>
> 2006/11/13 Yorn <yorn at gmx.net <mailto:yorn at gmx.net>>
>
>     Hi Rob,
>
>     will you provide the sourcecode of your project? I am working on a
>     similar
>     project for linux (but I'm not really far with it due to my short
>     spare
>     time). Maybe we could combine our efforts in one project to
>     support linux and
>     windows capturing/streaming.
>
>     yorn
>
>     Am Samstag, 11. November 2006 20:12 schrieb Robert Smith:
>     > Hi,
>     >
>     > Its been a while since I posted to this list.
>     >
>     > I have finished an application to stream Live Ogg Vorbis/Theora
>     to file or
>     > Icecast server for Windows users.
>     > For example, you can stream your webcam/radio station with it.
>      Maybe this
>     > will help make more Theora streams available as there seems to
>     be very
>     > little Windows support.
>     >
>     > Some features are as follows:
>     >  -   Connects to DirectShow Input devices (eg: webcam, capture card,
>     > microphone)
>     >  -   Lots of config options
>     >  -   Stream to File or Icecast server
>     >  -   Audio settings (sampling frequency, channels and Vorbis
>     Quality)
>     >  -   Video settings (Normal Theora settings, video cropping, video
>     > resizing) -   Overlay image on top of video feed (supports BMP,
>     JPEG and
>     > PNG 8/24) -   Will take advantage of Multi-CPU systems
>     >
>     > The application looks and works a bit like Nullsofts "NSV Live
>     Capture"
>     > program.
>     >
>     > Direct Download URL is http://dir.visonair.tv/streamer.exe
>     >
>     > Any comments, suggestions, and bug reports would be appreciated.
>     >
> [...]
Well, I'm also looking for something that can do this for some others I
work with that are limited to a Windows platform.  If I am not mistaken,
VLC player uses libavcodec for most, if not all, of its codecs, so it
may not have the most up-to-date libtheora or theora encoding.  I had
posted a similar request a short while back, referencing Edcast [1] as a
great example, but for only Ogg Vorbis audio streaming.  Something like
that for video would really open up a lot of opportunities.

Anyway, if I come across anything, I'll let you know.  I'm also keen on
knowing what Free/Libre software options are out there for streaming
Theora video from Windows or other platforms.

[1] http://www.oddsock.org/tools/edcast/