[theora] Theora for webcam/conferencing use

Basil Mohamed Gohar abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
Thu Oct 15 12:00:17 PDT 2009

On 10/15/2009 02:33 PM, Jason Self wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 11:21 AM, Basil Mohamed Gohar
> <abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org> wrote:
>

>>  Ideally, if there was a standalone program that would take input from a video & audio source, compress to
>> Theora (Thusnelda or better), and stream it out to an IceCast2 server...
>>
> Check out ffmpeg2theora at [1]. The examples mention doing that.
>
> [1] http://v2v.cc/~j/ffmpeg2theora/

Those examples imply a GNU/Linux-based system, but the system most
likely to be used in the cases I cited are Windows-based.  I was hoping
for something like Edcast, but for Theora (rather than Vorbis).  VLC
Player is promising, but it uses libavcodec for Theora, and I think the
quality isn't as good, at least until they get to Theora 1.1 - are they
there yet?