[theora] Theora for webcam/conferencing use

Basil Mohamed Gohar abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
Thu Oct 15 11:21:12 PDT 2009

On 10/15/2009 02:14 PM, michel memeteau wrote:
> HI
>
> 2009/10/15 Basil Mohamed Gohar <abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
> <mailto:abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org>>
>
>     Hey Theorans,
>     Feel free to tune in to my webcam, too.  The URL for it it:
>
>     http://aalimraan.hidayahonline.net:8000/basil-at-work.ogv
>
>     Works great in Firefox 3.5 & VLC.  ;)
>

> Thanks for this test ! I'm really astonished by the quality @150
> kbit/s  , actually when you don't move it even goes to 50 Kbits/s
> which would be great for people with very low dsl like 128 kbits/s
> upstream.
>
> you use libtheora 1.1 I guess ?
>
> Nice beard BTW !
You're most welcome!  Yeah, the quality is pretty good, which is why I
wanted to share it with others.  I intend to try to use a similar setup
for web-based seminars that will be easy for a lecturer to handle
without the need for much setup.  Ideally, if there was a standalone
program that would take input from a video & audio source, compress to
Theora (Thusnelda or better), and stream it out to an IceCast2 server,
that would more or less make the entry level quite accessible for almost
anyone.  I've noticed that those that tend to be well-educated in other
fields may not be the most educated when it comes to technology, so the
lower the barrier to entry, the better.

For live, 2-way communication, this setup would not be appropriate due
to the high latency (I'm just using, basically, HTTP).  Still, for a
broadcast, this is great!

Thanks for the compliment.  ;)