[theora] Indexing Ogg files for faster seeking

Conrad Parker conrad at metadecks.org
Tue Oct 13 19:21:45 PDT 2009

2009/10/14 Chris Pearce <chris at pearce.org.nz>:
> On 10/11/2009 10:55 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>> Also, I still believe it would make sense to include the Index packets
>> into Ogg Skeleton (as you may have gathered from the emails I just
>> sent on the other thread).
>
> I accept that adding the index to the skeleton would be a carrot to
> encourage players to use the skeleton, just so they can get the index.
> It's not clear to me how a player is otherwise advantaged by reading the
> skeleton track, hence my reluctance to include the index in the skeleton.

Players should at least use the presentation time, ie. not display
earlier frames.

The BOS page you have specified is mostly the same as the BOS page for
Skeleton anyway. I think it'd make more sense to rev Skeleton to
include a presentation end-time than to introduce a whole new BOS
page.

Presentation end-time would also be useful for players when the file
is a chopped section, to say that after this point you may not have
all required audio+video.

Conrad.