[theora] Theora patent question

Jason Self jason.self at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 10:58:04 PDT 2009

>> What evidence do you base this on? Have you paid to conduct your own
>> patent search or simply attempting to spread more FUD?
>
> If you truly think those are the only alternatives then I'm fairly
> certain my answer to your first question wouldn't mean anything to
> you, so I'll just say that I think you've got false choice there.

No -- Your original statement was that Theora must infringe on
something simply due to how the patent system works. The most
constructive thing to do if you truly believe that Theora must
infringe on something, is to take the time to come up with specific
evidence. Perhaps join the EFF in their patent busting process to help
invalidate them [1] or lobby to ban software patents entirely [2].
Throwing around generalized statements that something must infringe
simply because it exists does not help anything or anyone.

[1] http://w2.eff.org/patent/
[2] http://endsoftpatents.org/