[theora] Theora patent question

Jason Self jason.self at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 08:06:44 PDT 2009

On Oct 10, 2009, at 1:00 AM, Shayne Wissler wrote:

> People use Linux even though Microsoft (for example) is known to
> have patents that cover parts of it;

Please don't try spreading their FUD campaign. Microsoft also made
similar statements  in 2004 at [1]. People have already told Microsoft
to "put up or shut up" in regard to their statements and itemize the
specific patents they believe are being infringed. Have they done
that? No. As a result, most people seem to consider Microsoft' s
statement nothing more than an attempt to spread FUD, and you're
helping by both believing it and then spreading it.

[1] http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4021775.stm

> I for one doubt that Theora truly does not infringe on some patent
> or other

What evidence do you base this on? Have you paid to conduct your own
patent search or simply attempting to spread more FUD?