[theora] ffmpeg2theora and blocking artifacts

Kevin Kammer bateleurrgb at mac.com
Thu Oct 1 06:31:49 PDT 2009

The video quality of libtheora 1.1 is indeed a vast improvement over
the older encoder. However, it seems that regardless of what options I
pass to ffmpeg2theora, I am still getting significant blocks in the
output. I have tried a range of quality settings, --pp deblock filter
settings ranging from default to ha:255:1/va, etc. Nothing I do seems
to alleviate the blocking.

Is this an inherent issue, or is there a way around it? The really
disappointing part of all this is that otherwise the detail and
picture quality of 1.1 are so good, that the blocking really seems to
be marring an otherwise excellent encode.