[theora] ffmpeg2theora 0.25 synchronization issues when converting from .mov

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sun Oct 4 19:16:22 PDT 2009

Andrew Chew wrote:

>> I just realized that I normally convert my videos using the Xiph
>> Quicktime components.  I stopped using that when I upgraded to Snow
>> Leopard and realized that the Xiph Quicktime components don't work
>> with the latest Quicktime that ships with Snow Leopard.  In any
>> case, I've never had problems converting using that.  It's only when
>> I went to using ffmpeg2theora that I started having these problems.
>>
>> So it would appear that there's more evidence that this is an ffmpeg
>> problem, not a theora problem.
>
> Oops.  Didn't send to the whole mailing list.  Resending.

Something you might want to try rather than downgrading you QuickTime is
transcoding to mpeg2 first.

That's how I solved a different ffmpeg2theora problem.

Going from dv source (adjust args accordingly):

ffmpeg -i $video.dv -deinterlace -vcodec mpeg2video \
    -qscale 1 -qmin 1 -intra -an -y video.m2v
ffmpeg -i video.dv -acodec copy -vn -y video.wav

That demuxes the source into m2v video and wav audio

Then -

ffmpeg2theora-0.25 video.m2v --noaudio --two-pass -V ${vid} \
   -x ${wid} -y ${hei} -o video_tmp.ogv
oggenc -b ${aud} video.wav -o video_tmp.ogg

That endodes the video as theora and audio as ogg.
${vid} is target bitrate, etc.

oggzmerge -o video.ogv video_tmp.ogv video_tmp.ogg

That muxes the theora video and ogg audio into single file.

oggzmerge is not standard part of ogg tools, I think it is in package
called oggz-tools.