[theora] Proprietary by open source

Jason Self jason.self at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 21:04:01 PST 2009

On Nov 30, 2009, at 8:53 PM, Tom Sparks wrote:

> Proprietary by open source (sounds like a oxymoron)
> I am looking at doing a project that well use theora/vorbis/Dirac
>
> I am expecting to get why cant it play on my ipod/PMP?
> I am expecting to get you must be using some proprietary format?

Theora/Vorbis/Dirac and the Ogg container are hardly proprietary... quite the opposite in fact. They don't play on your iPod/PMP because Apple has not added support, which they could do very easily and for free. If you'd like the iPod to play these formats, please ask Apple to add support. In the meantime, there are other portable devices that will play Vorbis and Theora:

http://wiki.xiph.org/VorbisHardware
http://wiki.xiph.org/TheoraHardware