[theora] Open Video Alliance Contest

Josh Levy josh at openvideoalliance.org
Fri Nov 20 00:28:57 PST 2009

> On Nov 17, 2009, at 8:20 PM, Remco wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 02:01, Josh Levy
> > <josh at openvideoalliance.org> wrote:
> >> The Open Video Alliance is holding a video contest. To enter, just
> >> make a
> >> video spot explaining open video in 60 seconds or less. Then upload
> >> it
> >> anywhere and tell us the URL.
> >
> > Um... why are the videos published using Flash? ;)
>
> The Open Video Alliance uses Flash on their website? That's almost
> funny. Come on... If you're going to proclaim about open video, you
> should at least be using it yourself.  :)

Of course, we don't favor Flash for our own web purposes. However, for the
contest, we're encouraging participation from all over the web, so
we're using aggregator software called Miro Community. MC supports all video
types, including OGG Theora files. Perhaps when the contest is over, we'll
set up a hosting platform to convert and serve all the videos up using HTML5
and Theora. We would be happy to have many open format submissions. :)