[theora] Additional encoding options for theora

Basil Mohamed Gohar abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
Wed Nov 18 09:14:07 PST 2009

On 11/18/2009 12:04 PM, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> Even some x264 developers have expressed some regret about the degree
> of controls current exposed.
>
> More knobs result in additional code that must be maintained,
> additional things which can be broken, additional things which need
> performance optimization, and additional knobs that applications using
> the encoder *will* set stupidly.
>
> Even worse than 'tweaking for hours without success' is when you
> manage to find some setting which looks great on the 10 seconds of
> clip that you're looking at in your test but makes everything else
> look like crud. You spend days transcoding only to later notice that
> the overall result looks much worse.
>
> Getting good results from codec tweaking requires a commitment of
> time, both to thoroughly explore the changes and to understand the
> changes being made.  If you're willing to make that investment then
> rebuilding libtheora shouldn't be *too* much of a hurdle.  Nothing is
> being done to make it more hard or less fun— but no code has been
> added to make it look easier than it really is, either.
>
> I find that libvorbis tweaking is moderately more complicated than
> libtheora tweaking, FWIW.

I was under the impression that such values were tweakable and just not
made accessible through the interface.  If this is not the case, then
yes, I probably should get into the code and just play with it myself.
What gave me that impression is the slew of options available with other
codecs, and I agree, that is not a 100% good thing...but if there are a
few tweakable options that can be made available easily that might help
with yielding better results in output, then that's what I was going
for.  I realize now that that is likely not the case, and I should start
learning C.  ;)