[theora] Additional encoding options for theora

Basil Mohamed Gohar abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
Wed Nov 18 08:37:21 PST 2009

On 11/18/2009 11:16 AM, Benjamin M. Schwartz wrote:
> Basil Mohamed Gohar wrote:
>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I've been using the example reference encoder that comes with Theora
>> reference implementation from SVN, but there are very few options to
>> tweak encoding parameters in contrast to other codecs utilities such as
>> x264, mpeg2enc, etc.
>>
> This is deliberate.  libtheoraenc is designed with the philosophy that the
> user should specify constraints on the output bitrate and encode CPU time,
> and the encoder should produce the highest possible quality given the
> constraints.
>
> What other parameters do you wish for?
>
> --Ben

Well, without knowing exactly what's possible, I am not sure.  I am sure
some time-quality trade-off decisions can still be made, and some of
these can be exposed through the example encoder or another utility, if
it's more appropriate.  This would help people like me test various
parameters and help the developers further refine the code, for
example.  As an enthusiast, I love to be able to fiddle the knobs and
switches myself to see their impact, even if only minor.