[theora] ffmpeg2theora and VOB files

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Tue Nov 17 12:01:20 PST 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 11:37 AM, Martin Korytár <mar_kor at klikni.cz> wrote:

> I don't know exactly, but ffmpeg was on the application black list
> http://en.opensuse.org/Application_Black_List:
>
> Software which is encumbered by patent claims.
>
> Is it true?

Yes, ffmpeg implements many formats which are subject to declared
patent licensing requirements. The same is true of ffmpeg2theora,
though to a lesser extent because it uses only the decoder support.
Outside of the handful of free codecs like theora, dirac, almost all
current audio and video formats are by design subject to patent
royalties. The project essentially exists to address this shortcoming.

 -r