[theora] Theora on 1GHz G4 processor

Stefan Monnier monnier at IRO.UMontreal.CA
Mon May 25 10:38:16 PDT 2009

I'd like to convert my DVD collection to Theora, but discovered that my
good old powerbook (1GHz G4) can't keep up with it (tho a 1.2GHz P-III
has no trouble with it): it seems to need a tiny bit more than 100%
of CPU.

I create my video files with Thoggen, at the largest possible size, with
a quality setting of 50%.  And I play them with VLC.

Any hint of what I might want to try to do?  IIUC VLC uses libtheora
which doesn't use AltiVec instructions.  Is there some theora decoder
around that does make better use of my G4?

        Stefan