[theora] can't export from iMovie 08 to ogg theora/vorbis?

Arek Korbik arkadini at gmail.com
Mon May 25 11:48:12 PDT 2009

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 7:36 PM, Arek Korbik <arkadini at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 6:44 PM, Arek Korbik <arkadini at gmail.com> wrote:

>>>  0x0100 is only kTextExportGetDisplayDataSelect for a text export component.
>>> See the other selector names equal to 0x0100 in QuickTimeComponents.h, I
>>> suspect that you are actually being called to get the data and properties
>>> procedure (kMovieExportNewGetDataAndPropertiesProcsSelect).
>
> OK, so it seems OggExport component was advertising ability to export
> from procedures, following the ElectricImage example component by
> Apple, and it wasn't actually supporting it, same as the ElectricImage
> component.
>
> Unfortunately, after removing the flag advertising the support, the
> iMovie doesn't list Ogg as an available option anymore.
>
> It looks like OggExport will need to (at least) support exporting from
> procedures properly for it to work with iMovie. Any help implementing
> that will be appreciated - right now it doesn't seem like a 15 mins
> hack, and there's not much docs or info either.

So that Friday wasn't my best day - scratch that last post, too.

For some reason iMovie'08 expects OggExport to be able to extract raw
data from a movie for it. Kind of strange, that, but turns out a
simple pass-through-to-the-quicktime-exporter solution fixes the issue
for me. So that's now in trunk.

I didn't have time to build binaries with the latest versions of libs.
Hopefully I'll get to it this weekend, for more people to test the
fix.

Christopher suggested to make a release after the fix. The iMovie fix
(if it works for more people) and linking against the 1.0 theora seem
like good reasons. I guess providing (unofficial?) xiphqt+thusnelda
binaries, could be a good thing too?

I'll try to not delay those for too long,
Arek