[theora] ogg, ogm or mkv

Hannes theora.list at soulrebel.in-berlin.de
Mon May 18 03:45:49 PDT 2009

Am Montag, 18. Mai 2009 04:04:18 schrieb Conrad Parker:
> 2009/5/18 Remco <remco47 at gmail.com>:
> > What are the strengths and weaknesses of ogv, ogm and mkv? Matroska
> > seems to be most feature-rich. Why is that format not a
> > recommendation?
>
> It sounds like you are making a suggestion in favour of Matroska.
> Please explain which Matroska features you are using.
>
> Conrad.

Matroska has support for chapters, in-file subtitles of different formats,
multiple (multi-channel) [vorbis] audio tracks (with language identifiers) and
has lower file-format overhead than ogg.
I heard that some of these features are also available with Ogg Skeleton, but
I have not yet found a useable tool, that makes use of them. And I am above
average user, I think.

I heard ogg is better for streaming, but I have seen neither streamed, so I
can't tell.

Note, that I am not complaining here, free media is important, thats why I am
on this list ;-)
But if Matroska turns out to be better for movie-archiving (and I am not
saying it is or has to be) one should think about recommending it.

Regards,
Hannes