[theora] [gst-devel] Mozilla & gstreamer

Steve Kann stevek at stevek.com
Thu Jun 18 11:46:33 PDT 2009

Christopher Blizzard wrote:
> 1. An html-based camera + video capture API.  This isn't just an add-
> on like interface for JS people but also includes preview + style like
> we have with the html5 video element.  Think of it as a file upload on
> steroids.  An image interface is easy - just encode to jpg or png or
> whatever, and upload it.  Video is more challenging and where the
> opportunity is.  I would like to see us include capture for mac,
> windows + linux, encode to Theora and upload via the file upload API
> that we have today.  This brings video production to browsers (like we
> have text + image production today via blogs, etc.) but also continues
> the path to make ogg, theora and vorbis part of the underlying
> structure of the web.

FWIW, we have a cross-platform capture library, (that we ultimately use
with theora), which is at http://sourceforge.net/projects/libvidcap

It supports mac, windows and linux.  Presently LGPL, but there are few
authors, and re-licensing could be possible if there's interest (we'd
have to make sure we're not depending on or derived from LGPL code).

Unfortunately, it hasn't been widely publicized or adopted, (and we have
some enhancements we haven't sent out to sourceforge lately, mainly
because we haven't seen it picked up), but it forms a working library
that accomplishes the goals you've set forth.

-SteveK