[theora] Mozilla & gstreamer

Michael Dale mdale at wikimedia.org
Wed Jun 17 13:05:04 PDT 2009

Mozilla is looking to include auiod/video capture for Firefox and the
Mozilla platform in the future. Gstreamer was proposed as a technical
solution. Technical issues aside Chris Blizzard expressed concern over
issues with licenses. Before technical issues for gstreamer with Mozilla
Firefox can be fully considered the license issues have to be sorted.

As far as I understand (hopefully Mozilla will follow up with some
details)  the core code and the code for the capture modules would have
to be trilicensed? Since everything is already available under the least
restrictive form (the LGPL) I imagine the gstreamer community would be
oky with this. I don't think the purpose of the gstreamer communities
license choices where to exclude the use of the library by Mozilla
foundation open source web browser.

If these license issues can be sorted a more technical discussion can
follow as to whether gstreamer would be the best choice for inclusion of
these features into the Mozilla platform.

--michael