[theora] Firefox 3.5 Preview Shows New Hope For Open Media Standards

j at v2v.cc j at v2v.cc
Wed Jun 17 00:40:48 PDT 2009

Christopher Blizzard wrote:
> Going to recording + sending is another issue - we need
> someone to write portable video + audio collection code for quicktime,
> windows and linux.

using gstreamer as a basis should be a good start here.
there are elements to capture sound and video for all platforms.
(video capture on os x is a bit experimental i think)

Abhinav Chittora, a SoC Student, is right now working on an extension
for firefox to record sound messages, that can be posted to a website or
streamed to an icecast server(the idea is that it will be part of
Firefogg at a later point). if time permits we can look into making it
also work in thunderbird, adding am "add sound message" button to the
compose message dialog.
adding video support is not within the time frame, but could hopefully
be added later.