[theora] oggz-chop gives segmentation fault

Ondrej Certik ondrej at certik.cz
Tue Jun 16 21:26:32 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 10:05 PM, Ondrej Certik<ondrej at certik.cz> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 8:21 PM, Conrad Parker<conrad at metadecks.org> wrote:
[...]
> So it's clear that it ends because oggz is NULL. I am not good at
> debugging C (I mostly work with Python) ---- what is the best way to
> figure out why it is NULL? Should I continue using print statements,
> or some debugger? Do you use plain gdb, or some gui for it (like ddd)?

I used DDD, it works reasonably well. I figured it out where the
problem is, and I have to apologize, it was because it couldn't read
the ondrej.ogv, because I had it in a different directory and I didn't
notice, sorry for that!

Nevertheless I think it could give a more useful error message,
something like "cannot read ondrej.ogv" or something.

Anyway, it works now as expected. Anyway, the version in ubuntu still
segfaults even if the file is there, so there was some bug, but the
version 0.9.9 works fine.

Ondrej

P.S. That's why I like Python, that it gives you a useful traceback
right away, instead of silently failing or just segfaulting.