[theora] Chris DiBona's passing comment on Theora + Youtube on the WhatWG list

dos386 dos386 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 04:59:11 PDT 2009

> On Jun 13th 2009 Chris DiBona of Google made a remarkable claim
> on the WhatWG mailing list:

> "If [youtube] were to switch to theora and maintain even a semblance
> of the current youtube quality it would take up most available
> bandwidth across the Internet."

Reportedly Loo-Tube and other "Flash" video services nowadays together consume
more electricity than the whole internet used to just 2 years ago :-D

Ryan smith wrote (other list):

> 3) Theora should have a feature that disables print screen and
> video recording software from capturing Theora videos. Alot of
> webmasters have their videos stolen

This would be CRIPPLEWARE, not a feature. Also, repeated
streaming to the same person is nothing but wasted network
bandwidth + electricity. Finally, you can always easily bypass
such stupid "disable-right-click-in-IE-like"  hacks so better don't even
start with such ideas ;-)

> I thought the comparison I did for my response would be interesting to
> other people here:
> http://people.xiph.org/~greg/video/ytcompare/comparison.html

It definitely is. This page (+ possibly other comparisons) should get
prominently linked from theora.org and wiki.xiph.org .

--