[theora] Add an intro to a theora file without re-encoding?

Michael Opdenacker michael at free-electrons.com
Tue Jul 21 01:39:33 PDT 2009

On 07/17/2009 05:05 PM, yorn at gmx.net wrote:
> Hey Michael, all
>

>> Is your silent wav generator available somewhere? That sounds like a
>> cleaner way to recommend, for example for people who need to make long
>> intros.
>>

> I added a new tool called "oggSilence" (I spend my lunch break for that ;-)
>
> It is not tested completely, but it works for my cases. And it directly produces an ogg/vorbis file.
>
> Just check out revision 66 from
>
> https://oggvideotools.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/oggvideotools

Hi again Yorn,

I still have a problem with oggSilence... When I ask for a 6s duration,
I get 05.942s instead.

   1.
      $ oggSilence -d 112000 -n 2 -r 48000 -l 6000 silence.ogg
   2.
      Creating ogg file with the following parameters
   3.
      Vorbis Stream:
   4.
              with 2 channels
   5.
              and  48000 kHz sample rate
   6.
              and  112000 data rate
   7.

   8.
      287744
   9.
      write last frame with 256
  10.
      $ ogginfo silence.ogg
  11.
      Processing file "silence.ogg"...
  12.

  13.
      New logical stream (#1, serial: 2864fb0a): type vorbis
  14.
      Vorbis headers parsed for stream 1, information follows...
  15.
      Version: 0
  16.
      Vendor: Xiph.Org libVorbis I 20070622 (1.2.0)
  17.
      Channels: 2
  18.
      Rate: 48000
  19.

  20.
      Nominal bitrate: 112.000000 kb/s
  21.
      Upper bitrate not set
  22.
      Lower bitrate not set
  23.
      User comments section follows...
  24.
              ENCODER=oggVideoTools 0.8
  25.
      Vorbis stream 1:
  26.
              Total data length: 616 bytes
  27.
              Playback length: 0m:05.942s
  28.
              Average bitrate: 0.829257 kb/s
  29.
      Logical stream 1 ended

Why not just *exactly 6 seconds*? That's what I had with "vcut" from
vorbis-tools.

If I recall correctly, oggCut also had the same problem, not cutting
exactly at 6s (even after your last fix). Is there anything we disagree
about?

Thanks for everything,

Cheers,

Michael.