[theora] ogg theora book sprint

David Kuehling dvdkhlng at gmx.de
Mon Jul 13 14:51:29 PDT 2009

> hey, Adam here from FLOSS Manuals (http://www.flossmanuals.net). We
> write free manuals about free software and in August (10-15) we will
> hold Book Sprint (http://www.flossmanuals.net/booksprints) about Ogg
> Theora. We will write a really good manual (book) about Ogg Theora in
> 5 days. The event will be in Berlin.

> We want to cover a lot of stuff, but we hope to get our teeth into at
> least some of the following :

> about -what is theora?  -why do you want it?  -codec basics streaming
> -tss (theora streaming studio) -commandline ffmpeg2theora, dvgrab,
> oggfwd -icecast -gstreamer -vlc -jroar transcoding -firefogg
> -ffmpeg2theora -thoggen -ogg convert editing -oggchopz -pivitv
> -oggtools video conferencing -empathy -ekiga -linphone distribution
> -wikipedia -archive.org -html5 subtitling -cli embedding of subtitles
> in ogg -web based subtitle replay with jquery.srt playback -vlc -ff

About the content: 'oggchopz' is probably 'oggzchop', which is from the
'oggztools' that you might also want to cover.

Another topic of interest might be 'Theora hardware' (the Elphel 333
camera was a good example of theora in hardware, but looks like it's
discontinued :( )

> We are keen to get anyone to the sprint that wants to come. There is
> some limited travel funds...if anyone would like to attend please let
> me know! :)

Well, given that I live within 5km of the conference place, I'm somewhat
tempted to attend :)   BTW for those interested, more information about
the place and context is available here:

http://www.sommercampworkstation.de/?lp_lang_pref=en&page_id=116

If I read this correctly, the book sprint takes place as one of the
workshops, with a registration fee of 50 EUR.  Also note that
/everybody/ can participate remotely (for free :) as external editors,
using a web-interface (see
http://en.flossmanuals.net/BookSprints/Roles).

BTW Adam, if you want to get some of the Theora developers on board,
what about asking at theora-dev?

cheers,

David