[theora] Commercial use and distribution of Theora codec?

James Wilson jfcwilson at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 5 21:25:34 PDT 2009

Hello,

I know that Theora is marketed as patent-free and free to use for any purpose, but a fellow over at Xvid.com told me that Theora in fact is based on MPEG tech, and therefore has some deep elements that people might eventually go after me for if I use it to encode commercially distributed video, and bundle the decode files with the game.
Besides  that, I belive the license of theora allows commercial distribution. Am I right?
So, what's the deal with this?

Thanks alot,
  James