[theora] Encoding raw to Theora

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Sat Jan 10 12:16:54 PST 2009

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 9:00 AM, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:

> Not that I think NC-ND is effectively an improvement on "all rights
> reserved" for this class of work, but the ND property shouldn't
> frustrate codec development.

To continue the tangent, even NC-ND is an improvement for free codec
work because it explicitly allows posting transcodes. The permissions
it gives do very little from the remix culture perspective, but this
is still an improvement over "all rights reserved" where owners can
take a work down and keep it that way, or use it to support a
particular distribution channel.

Anyway, relicensing without the NC clause at a later date would
certainly help. What I'm trying to do is build a library of such
things at Xiph, but it's something of a long term project. :)

 -r