[theora] Video showcasing Theora in Firefox 3.1

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 11:07:24 PST 2009

On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Maik Merten <maikmerten at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Laurent Fraisse schrieb:
>> We have a low-res Theora encoding up to test the streaming in Firefox
>> 3.1 beta 3 at:
>> http://ozprod.com/Firefox-in-Motion.html
>
> Oh, that's nice content!
>
> Just wondering why you've chosen to only give ~33 kbit/s to the audio
> stream - that's perhaps pushing things too far compression wise for a
> 44.1 kHz stereo audio stream.

The audio is, perhaps, worse than what I'd expect from even 33kbit/sec vorbis.

I see there is no vendor string on the Vorbis track.
Vorbis headers parsed for stream 1, information follows...
Version: 0
Vendor:
Channels: 2
Rate: 44100

That is very strange— and I wonder if the audio was encoded by some
broken Vorbis encoder. (There is only one that I'm aware of— FFMPEG
has a home grown Vorbis encoder that is seriously worse than the
Xiph.Org reference encoder,  I'd never seen anyone use it until
Archive.org managed to encode all their Ogv files with it. :( :( :( )

Now checking I see that the broken ogv files on archive.org also have
the same missing vendor string.  This is really terrible.  The output
of the ffmpeg vorbis encoder is what I'd use if I were trying to make
Vorbis look bad. :(