[theora] X-Content-Duration HTTP header

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Tue Dec 29 20:58:12 PST 2009

2009/12/29 Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com>:

> I've just been told by some W3C people that we should not name HTTP
> headers (even if intermediate) with "X-". (see email thread excerpt
> below)

Well, hooray. Moving it to an official header seems reasonable to me.

> Should we move forward and register a provisional header as
> "Content-Duration" and adapt all the software while there's not too
> much of it out there?

We'll have to support both forever, of course, like application/x-ogg.
But I think adoption is low enough there's still time, assuming the
firefox folks agree.

Looking at the provisional template, there has to be a citeable spec
(but I guess it doesn't have to be an rfc?). Can that just be a wiki
page, or should we do an rfc draft and point to that for the
provisional registry with the expectation of publishing it as an rfc
once there's more adoption?

I've created http://wiki.xiph.org/ContentDuration as a place to work on a draft.

 -r