[theora] Http adaptive streaming for html5

Michael Dale mdale at wikimedia.org
Tue Dec 29 00:44:56 PST 2009

Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> I'm not sure which approach is preferable to HTML5 and to Ogg. Maybe
> the media fragment addressing will make it easier to switch to a
> different file without losing sync and still do it all client-side.
>
> From a HTML5 markup POV, the current <source> elements and their
> @media attributes allow for specification of bitrates of the
> alternative video sources, so HTML5 probably already specifies all
> that is necessary to do bitrate switching. It even seems to me that
> Apple have already implemented it since [4] mentions the <video>
> element. But it might be a good question to ask on whatwg.

This is more or less what I suggested at the start of the thread ;) It
would have to work with upcoming "oggIndex" support so that clients
could maintain a list of http byte offsets for keyframe to keyframe
chunks. Then you would just do normal byte-range requests to the server,
jumping clip qualities when needed. This is compatible with existing
plain old http CDN infrastructure. I think stuff that works over plain
http will win out, as Blizzard mentions even if its not the standard
right now its the general industry direction.

--michael