[theora] Http adaptive streaming for html5

Chris Double chris.double at double.co.nz
Sun Dec 20 17:11:52 PST 2009

I'm not sold on the approach of listing the different bitrate versions
in source elements. This will cause issues if the source elements have
different codecs, sizes, or other characteristics. It also makes it hard
to know which is a 'fallback' source and which is a bitrate source.

I much prefer the approach of treating bitrate switching as a new codec.
Have a file on the server that lists the different bitrate versions.
Much like Apple's live streaming draft RFC.

In this way browsers can support it by implementing the 'codec' and the
WHATWG doesn't need to be involved at all as far as I can tell.

Chris.