[theora] Theora encoder performance

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Dec 7 06:56:42 PST 2009

Mircea Gliga wrote:
>    Then I measured how long does it take for Theora to encode an image
>    On average: *80 ms*.
>      Using XVID I've obtained between *20-25 ms* for an image. That's
> 60ms longer using Theora.

That is surprising.  A big difference like this is definitely not
expected.  Are you encoding at approximately the same bitrate?  Video
encoding speed depends heavily the target bitrate or quality.  What
version of libtheora are you linking against?  Apart from switching out
XVID and Theora, is the code otherwise identical?

--Ben