[theora] Does ogg can be "multicasted"?

Wim Taymans wim.taymans at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 09:27:13 PST 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 19:31 +0700, Pandu Rakimanputra wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> My name is Pandu, I'm from INdonesia. I just joined this mailing list
> two days ago. I'm doing my final project in my college, my final
> project is about streaming ogg video (using theora of course).
> I've already search about how to create multicast stream with ogg and
> software which can do that, but I found nothing. So, back to my
> subject, does ogg can be "multicasted"?

I suppose you mean sending ogg inside RTP over a UDP multicast network.
No RTP payload has been defined for ogg itself but theora and vorbis
do.

There is an RTSP library (and some example apps) built on top of
gstreamer that you can use for streaming theora/vorbis here:
http://people.freedesktop.org/~wtay/

Alternatively you don't need an RTSP server if you are going send stuff
over UDP multicast. You could write an gst-launch line to start a sender
and then use an SDP file on a server somewhere to make a client join the
multicast group and receive the file.

Regards,
Wim