[theora] XiphQT and QuickTime X

Jason Self jason.self at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 18:50:28 PDT 2009

I've just finished installing Apple's shiny new Mac OS X version 10.6
(aka "Snow Leopard.") One of the very first things I did was place
XiphQT 0.1.9 into /Library/Components. It appears that it doesn't work
with the new QuickTime X: The .ogg and .ogv files are grayed out in
the Open File dialog box and cannot be selected. Right-clicking on the
file, selecting Open With, and then selecting QuickTime Player makes
it immediately barf saying "The document
bug_buck_bunny_480p_stereo.ogg could not be opened. QuickTime Player
cannot open files of this type."

Fortunately, iTunes does continue to play them.