[theora] libtheora 1.1 problem? with firefogg and ffmpeg2theora

Orton AKINCI aka .-_-. ortonak at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 21 10:06:05 PDT 2009

hi all,

i have been trying to export some videos using firefogg in two pass mode. the problem i get recently with various files is that when i choose a low bitrate (for example 1200kbps for a 512x224 25fps video with so many details) the video quality is very very good at the beginning (much better then my quality based -v 5 export which produces a 1204kbps video with the same build) and then the pixel blocks get bigger and bigger towards the end of the video and at the end they become very very big at the end and quality becomes so so poor. i have been making so many test exports for two different source files (same specs except for resolution) both with firefogg (libtheora 1.1 20090806) and ffmpeg2theora (libtheora 1.1 20090805) in command line and i get the same result... i think there is a problem with the bitrate distribution through the video for 1.1 since the beginning of the exported video has a better quality than expected and the end has a very bad
 quality...

you can download an exported sample file here if you like (75MB):
http://cc.httpdot.net/test/
my source file is a 768x336px 25fps raw quictime video

i don't know if this is a known issue but i haven't seen anything about it on the list. anyway i just wanted to let you know.

 .-_-.