[theora] thank you

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 14:18:21 PDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 5:04 PM, Mysoogal<contact at mysoogal.com> wrote:
> thanks very much for " ffmpeg2theora  --two-pass -V 1234  inputfile.avi "
>
> what is --optimizer , awould be possible to add  --grain like you get in
> MPEG2 video

--optimize  does nothing anymore. It used to enable a more aggressive
motion vector search. In my own experience it was actually harmful for
quality at a given bitrate, since the encoder didn't consider the cost
of encoding the motion vectors. Even if something feature is re-added
that controls the cost of the MV search it will probably come as a
speed-level knob, as the name "optimize" is misleading. (Perhaps an
optimize knob should rehuff?)

Sorry, I'm not familiar with "--grain" so I can't speak to the
prospects of adding it. Can you point me to a web page describing it?