[theora] Theora/Thusnelda features questions.

ertuqueque ertuqueque at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 12:40:33 PDT 2009

Hello, My name is Robin Marín and I have some questions about the Theora
Codec/project...

First of all I don't know if this is the right place to ask but I haven't
found any Xiph/Theora forum or something similar...
I don't even know if this is the right way of "posting" in mailists... But
anyway...

I discovered Theora just like a moth ago when the 1st alpha of Thusnelda
came out... Even when just a month ago I found about it,
I did a lot of reading and searching to know more about the concept, goals
and some basic internal working of Theora.

Of course, I did a lot of testing with the 1st Thusnelda alpha of
ffmpeg2theora and results are very good! I'm very pleased with results.
Compression, quality, ease of use and stability are really great even when
there's a good amount of new code since Theora 1.0 version (for what i've
read).
Congratulations to the devs!

Even so, In most cases I can still get better quality with Codecs like Xvid
using a Two-Pass setup... So here's the first row of questions:

*- Is it possible to support a "Two-Pass" or even "multipass" feature in
Theora?

*- Is there any plan to support that or a similar feature in Theora?

... And just to clarify, I'm not asking for timeframes, just if it's
possible... if it's in the plans... of is there's a similar feature on the
"roadmap" :)

Ok, and the other questions relates to the future of Theora against modern
codecs like the frequently mentioned h264 stuff...
And please, don't get me wrong, I'm just wondering if there are plans to
support more advanced features even if that supposes
rising the CPU load or stuff like that... Concretely my questions are:

- knowing that your "goal" with Theora is/was (?) to achieve similar quality
than MPEG-4 Part-2/ASP (?) -

*- Do you plan to implement more advanced features comparable with MPEG-4
Part-10/AVC? (h264)

And more than that...

*- Can you implement such comparable features in current Theora/Thusnelda or
that would require a whole new direction?

Please notice I wrote "comparable"... not the same. I understand Theora is a
different implementation.

The last question is the most important for me... I'm very curious about
that.

Thanks
tuqueque.