[theora] Linux Foundation removed all Theora videos from linux.com?

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 10:43:16 PDT 2009

2009/4/14 Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves <justivo at gmail.com>:
> I've heard this second hand and haven't had the time to confirm its
> vericity.  Can someone confirm this is the case?
>
> If so, what were these people thinking?  Removing support for the only
> video format that is sure to be installed in every Linux box somehow
> promoves the OS adoption?  You get a WTF award LF, congrats.

Well, MTC wrote this:
http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php?title=List_of_Theora_videos&diff=10165&oldid=10163
 but he isn't around on IRC at the moment for me to ask.

Looks like they are reworking the site, but the old site sends you
here http://linuxcom.blip.tv/rss when you click on video.

Blip.tv isn't a great hosting site for unencumbered formats, but at
least if you upload in Ogg/Theora they'll continue to make it
available.

Also relevant: http://ideaforge.linux.com/story.php?title=convert-linuxfoundation-videos-to-ogg-theora-1

I think its important that we try to maintain a "How can we help?"
outlook even when "Look— you screwed up" appears justified, if nothing
else it spares us egg-face when we're in error as it appears we may be
here.