[theora] Thusnelda Video Quality

Tom Sparks tom_a_sparks at yahoo.com.au
Thu Apr 2 00:16:03 PDT 2009

--- On Thu, 2/4/09, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:

From: Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [theora] Thusnelda Video Quality
To: "Tom Sparks" <tom_a_sparks at yahoo.com.au>
Cc: theora at xiph.org

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 1:23 AM, Tom Sparks <tom_a_sparks at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
<snip>
> hang on, that not always true
> MPEG1 ISO/IEC 11172 (MP3)
> MPEG2 ISO/IEC 13818
> MPEG4 ISO/IEC 14496
> they are all standards witch I can find the document by >googling, but I have to pay for the license to use that >standard :(

>I'm not quite sure what you're saying. Perhaps you're saying >that
>MPEG4 is not proprietary because it is an ISO standard?

jpeg (ISO 10918-1) newly discovered (2007) patent issues
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG#Patent_issues

there is no grantee that even when it has been ISO approved that you well not be exploited for profit in the future

>I've been trying to use the word "encumbered" to describe these
>formats to avoid that particular piece of nit-picking, and I >slipped
>up there... but I do actually stand by use of proprietary in >that
>context:

>Merriam-Webster states:
>Main Entry: 1pro·pri·e·tary
>[...]
>2: something that is used, produced, or marketed under >exclusive legal
>right of the inventor or maker ; specifically : a drug (as a >patent
>medicine) that is protected by secrecy, patent, or copyright >against
>free competition as to name, product, composition, or process >of
>manufacture

>These codecs are protected by patent and are available for use >only
>with the exclusive legal right of a singular licensing body. >They are
>proprietary, even though their operation is publicly disclosed >like
>all other patented things.  Somewhat incongruently they would >be less
>proprietary if they were secret and not protected by patent, >since
>they could be legally reverse engineered.

hang on, even if you buy hardware and/or software that can compress/decompress that format, you the end user is responsible for figuring out which patents you have

>Notice I didn't mention audio and video as examples. In those >domains
>free formats have not reached sufficient adoption to be >considered
>'effectively free'. To make the free alternatives usable the >public
>must first adopt them.
the public is being feed to much FUD (Fear, uncertainty and doubt), until they are forced, or do their own fact finding
they are less likely to look at free alternatives

      The new Internet Explorer 8 optimised for Yahoo!7: Faster, Safer, Easier.