[theora] Does already Etheora support sound?

Conrad Parker conrad at metadecks.org
Tue Jul 15 23:12:08 PDT 2008

2008/7/4 Ribamar Santarosa de Sousa <ribamar.santarosa at gmail.com>:
> 2008/7/3 Javier Garcia <tirengarfio at yahoo.es>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> does already Etheora support sound?
>
> Not at this moment. And there is no prevision yet.

Following up on some ideas from the start of this year's summer of
code planning:

It could be useful to make an encoding library that does video+audio,
similarly to what liboggplay does for decoding.

liboggplay uses libtheora directly for video, and libfishsound for
audio (flac, speex, vorbis); a similar encoding library could do
likewise.

There have also been suggestions to make a "libfishsight" to handle
both theora and dirac, and then that could be used in encoder and
decoder libraries.

Etheora is fitting somewhere in between these, as an easy interface to
theora encoding and decoding.

Of course there's also all the frameworks (GStreamer, DirectShow, QT),
and plugin systems like OpenMAX.

In the end it's really the applications people are intending to
develop that should dictate where we put our effort ...

Conrad.