[theora] Re: [dyne:bolic] Concerning the (correct) use of Theora in FreeJ

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves justivo at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 20:34:09 PST 2008

On 1/23/08, Michael Smith <msmith at xiph.org> wrote:
> Thusnelda is planned as a significant update/improvement to the
> existing libtheora encoder. It is NOT a 'next-generation Theora' -
> it's still Theora, bitstream compatible and all.

That is the correct phrasing, indeed.  Sorry if I passed the wrong
impression that it would be uncompatible with older decoders by just
grabbing the buzz word "next-gen" and spill it out randomly.

> It's not at all reasonable or realistic to say it will compete with
> H.264; it's intended to substantially improve the quality of the
> libtheora encoder, but Theora is simply an older-generation codec than
> H.264.

Hey, I merely (mis-)quoted Monty's demo paper on thusnelda.  Gotta
tell the people the good news.

The idea is that the Theora encoder does allow for that of space for
improvement.  H.264 is too much of a complex mess as opposed to the
simple, efficient, and extensible video format we are discussing here.
 It turns out it is realistic to say Theora will compete with H.264.

-Ivo